Tuesday, April 14, 2009

In Doctor Livingstone's Livingroom

After 3 blissful days on the house boat, a 12 hour drive that took us just over 300 kilometres we arrived at Livingstone- Africa's adventure sports capital.

Livingstone straddles the Zimbabwean boarder and is named so after the same Livingstone i sprinkle into all my entries.

The town itself is nothing flash and reminds me of a country town in rural Australia- complete with a dusty main street, flanked on both sides by buildings with corrugated iron roofs housing the usual shops and occasional bureau de change.

What makes Livingstone special, a tourist mecca is it's proximity to the breathtaking Victoria falls described by Livingstone in 1855 as


The whole scene was extremely beautiful; the banks and islands dotted over the river are adorned with sylvan vegetation of great variety of color and form…no one can imagine the beauty of the view from any thing witnessed in England. It had never been seen before by European eyes; but scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angels in their flight.


It was here that i faced some of my largest and biggest fears- I jumped out of an aeroplane at 8000 feet, walked with a lion (I navigated myself by holing it's tail), jumped of a 100 metre ravine backwards in a gorge swing... (similar to bungee jumping), abseiled down a 60 metre cliff face and I have survived (completely unscathed) to tell the story.


TBC

1 comment:

stepforddreams said...

Wow... so wonderful I love your blog. Your life is so exciting and so very different to mine now! xx Carolyn