Friday, January 09, 2009

The GC

So I know that I said I would not let fear dominate my trip. It is a big statement from a girl who is afraid of the dark.

On touch down in Guatemala City (the GC) I think you would not really be a human if you were not afraid. It has one of the highest murder rates in the world and it is one of the most dangerous cities on the planet (well that is what my trusty British Tourist warning said). I did not want to become a statistic.

We were instructed by our shuttle bus to wait inside the terminal until our driver collected us.

The airport is very shiney and new and we sat on the tiles, playing eye spy until Emmanuel found us promptly at 8:00pm.

The sky was dark overhead, we were herded into a transit van and my hands were shaking. I am not a sissy but the GC's reputation precedes itself.

We flew down the highway reaching speeds of more than 150 kms an hour, overtaking every car in sight. I was alarmed that most of the cars had very dark tinted windows- there was no way of telling if you were passing a car full of bandits or a mum with her kids.

After about 20 mins we stopped at a servo to re fill, I did not like it. A man dressed in a cow boy hat, checked shirt and big belt stood guard with a massive shot gun pointed every which way with intent and i realised it was true- there are more security guards in the GC than police.

I asked myself if the car stopped at the servo strategically to put off any would be robbers who may have been in pursuit- so many scenarios ran through my head.

Once we had refuelled we were back on the road and i wondered if our driver thought he was auditioning for Sandra Bullock's role in Speed. We arrived in Antigua in record time, safe and sound.

XXXX

No comments: